CO-CURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS
• ATHLETICS Representing Queen of All Saints School on an athletic team is fun and challenging. Parental permission and up-to-date medical forms are required. Those who meet the standards of QAS Student-Athletes will be eligible to participate on a team. Interscholastic athletic programs are offered on a no-cut basis for students grade four and above. All students interested in participating are welcomed on the team. Intramural programs are provided in fall and in winter for younger students.
• BAND Instrumental music training is available on a fee basis for Queen of All Saints School children in our QAS School Band Program. The Francenter organizes and directs our band program. They provide band program services to students in grade 4 through 8, and in certain circumstances, grade 3 students.
• CHAMBER SINGERS The Chamber Singers is a choral ensemble composed of students in Grade 4 and 5.The choir is a non-auditioned group and all students are welcome. This beginning choir rehearses in the music room for one 45 minute period each week. They participate as leaders of song for some school liturgies, present Christmas programs at area nursing homes and are featured in The Angels Sing Advent/Christmas Program. They also participate in a combined band and choral concert in the spring.
• SCHOLA SINGERS Schola Singers is a choral ensemble composed of students in Grades 6 through 8. The choir is a non-auditioned group and all students are welcome. The choir rehearses in the music room for one 45 minute period each week. They serve as cantors and leaders of song for all school liturgies, are featured in The Angels Sing Advent/Christmas Program, participate in special parish liturgies such as Catholic Schools Week, and attend area middle school choral festivals (Loyola Academy and VanderCook College of Music). They also participate in a combined band and choral concert in the spring.
• HAND BELL CHOIR The Hand Bell Choir is an ensemble composed of students in Grades 5 through 8. This ensemble requires that students take an inventory test of their musical reading skills. This group rehearses in the hand bell room in the Basilica for one 45 minute period each week. They participate in various masses during the school year and are featured in The Angels Sing Advent/Christmas Program. This group is usually limited to 15.
• CULTURAL/EDUCATIONAL ASSEMBLIES All-school grade-appropriate assemblies are scheduled periodically during the school year. Variety, educational enrichment, and cultural awareness are the major emphases of these experiences.
• LITURGICAL MUSIC Children’s Liturgical Choir: The Children’s Liturgical Choir is made up of boys and girls from our parish in Grades 3 through 8 who come together to sing monthly at the 9:30 a.m. Sunday Mass in the Basilica as well as at special liturgical celebrations throughout the year. Rehearsal dates and times will be announced in the church bulletin at the beginning of the school year. Children’s Christmas Choir: A choir of boys and girls in Grades 3 through 8 that takes part in the 4:00 p.m. Christmas Eve parish liturgy. Rehearsal days and times will be in the bulletin as we approach the Christmas season.
• SCHOOL MUSICAL PERFORMANCE In spring, an extra-curricular school musical is produced by the school. Either a musical revue or a junior version of a Broadway music provides interested students to sing, dance and perform. Some students not interested in performing get involved in the technical aspects of producing the show, such as lighting, sound and costuming. A dress rehearsal is offered at school, and two public evening performances are also provided.
• EIGHTH GRADE DANCES As part of the eighth grade curriculum, we offer a social program which consists of dance lessons and several dances throughout the school year.
• BOOKWORMS Bookworms is an after-school reading enrichment program for eligible students in Grades 1-4. In Bookworms, selected novels are explored in a literature circle format.Children read the same book, chapters at a time, and have specific roles in the weekly discussion, as directed by a teacher. The session is 8 weeks long. Information regarding the program and fee is sent out in October.
• STUDENT COUNCIL In order to provide an opportunity for student expression and leadership training, Queen of All Saints students are encouraged to participate in the activities of the Student Council. QAS Student Council is organized around the concept of the “Board of Commissioners” style of student government. In addition to providing means for student expression, the Student Council provides communication with the administration, develops school spirit, aids in school functions, promotes cooperation between the student body and faculty, and provides a means for developing good Catholic citizens and leaders. Student Council officers are elected from among students in Grades 6, 7; 8. Classroom representatives are elected from among students in Grades 4 through 8.
• AMBASSADOR CLUB 8th Grade students are chosen by the Junior High faculty to be Diplomats in the Ambassador Club. Diplomats act as greeters and tour guides for guests at Open Houses and special events.