Mrs. Fritz's Kindergarten Class ~ Room 3
Webinar - At Home Learning Week 1 Tips and Ideas!
Kindergarten News ~ March 20, 2020
First Day of At-Home Learning
Kindergarten News ~ March 13, 2020
Most of you have probably read/seen Mrs. Carlson’s Principal Post and/or Yellow Letter regarding possible school closures due to the Coronavirus. Unfortunately, we will be closing beginning Monday, March 16th until an unknown date. Please feel free to message me regarding the work that was sent home in the Red Folder as well as the electronic learning I sent home (eSpark & Seesaw). I will be happy to help! If needed, I will add activities to Seesaw as needed, but if you are in need of other activities have your child write stories, practice sight words, write CVC words and practice writing their letters and numbers correctly, along with their first and last names!
Here’s what we worked on this week…
Reading/Language Arts: We read the story “If You Could Go To Antarctica” and learned about what you would discover if you visited Antarctica. Our letter of the week was Ee (which we will continue next week) and our sight words were: here, go & from.
Math: We began our chapter on composing and decomposing numbers (putting together and taking apart). This is a review of addition and subtraction.
Religion: We learned that Baptism is the sacrament that welcomes us into the church. Through Baptism we become members of God’s family!
Independent Center: We worked on positional words this week! We identified where items were placed and used words to describe where they were. We also reviewed Rhyming words.
Kindergarten News ~ March 5, 2020
We had a great week celebrating Dr. Seuss1 We read so many books, watched videos, created projects, discussed our favorite characters/stories and learned about Dr. Seuss as an author! We had so much fun! Ask your child how they liked the green eggs and ham we had for snack on Monday! Combined with Student Council’s Spirit Week activities, we had a blast all week long!
Gym Class is on Tuesday & Thursday next week!
Our week at a glance:
Reading/Language Arts: This week we focused on a different Dr. Seuss book each day and did activities that went along with them! We practiced rhyming words and recognized word families to help us rhyme. We learned about Dr. Seuss as an author and did some writing that went along with his stories and allowed us to use our imaginations!
Math: We are still working on subtraction, however we reviewed addition and did some fun, Dr. Seuss themed math activities1
Independent Center: We completed many Dr. Seuss themed activities this week! We used our imaginations and creativity to complete projects and activities!
Religion: This week we learned more about Lent and the symbols that go along with the season.
- Testing for Report Cards will continue next week. Report cards go home on March 13th.
- Please remember: if your child has a fever or has been vomiting, they must remain home for 24 hours AFTER they are fever and vomit free. Please do not send your child to school if they are not feeling well! We are trying very hard to keep our room clean and free of germs!
Enjoy the long weekend!!
Kindergarten News ~ February 28, 2020
We had a busy week celebrating Mardi Gras and beginning the season of Lent with Ash Wednesday.
Gym is on Tuesday next week!!
Here’s what we worked on:
English/Language Arts: We read the story “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” and discussed the concept of character. We focused on the letter Gg at the beginning and end of words. The sight words we reviewed were: one, two, three, four & five. We are still practicing beginning and ending blends as well as CVC words.
Math: We are still working on the subtraction chapter in our math book and we are reviewing missing numbers in a sequence.
Independent Center: This week we worked on Mardi Gras themed activities and Dental health activities.
Religion: Our chapter this week focused on the season of Lent. We learned that Lent is a time to be reflective and think of Jesus’ sacrifice for us. We attended Ash Wednesday Mass and participated in a Rice and Broth lunch. We received Rice Bowls to collect spare change in throughout Lent!
- We will be testing for Report Cards next week! Report Cards go home on Friday, March 13th!
- Next week is Spirit Week at QAS! Please see the page on my blog with specifics.
- Next week is a short week with No School on Friday!
Kindergarten News ~ February 21, 2020
We spent this short week learning about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln! We discussed what it means to be the President of the United States and thought about the things we would do if we were President!
Gym Class is on Monday and Friday next week!
Our week at a glance:
Reading/Language Arts: This week we read the story “One Little Mouse and practiced sequencing and retelling events in a story. We learned about beginning blends and ending blends this week. While this was a new concept, we did a great job with blends! Our new sight words this week were number words: one, two, three, four & five.
Math: We began our chapter on subtraction this week! We learned what it means to “take away” and see how many are left.
Independent Center: We completed activities about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln this week. We learned that they lived a long, long time ago and did many wonderful things for our country.
Religion: Our chapter this week told us that we can learn about Jesus with our friends. We also learned that friends are special gifts from God.
- Tuesday is Mardi Gras! Students may come to school out of uniform in Mardi Gras colors! We will be giving the students masks and beads!
- Lent begins next Wednesday with Ash Wednesday! We will attend an all-school Mass at 2pm in the Basilica.
- Wednesday is our annual Rice & Broth lunch in honor of Ash Wednesday. If your child would like to participate, please send in $2.00 on or before Wednesday! If you choose not to participate, please send in a lunch from home as there is no hot lunch service on this day.
- Rice Bowls will be sent home on Wednesday. This is for “Operation Rice Bowl” through Catholic Charities. Please allow your child to do special things to earn change to fill the Rice Bowl throughout Lent. Rice Bowls will be collected the week before Spring Break and Easter.
Kindergarten News ~ February 14, 2020
This week we celebrated Valentine’s Day with our classmates! We completed an art project for our parents and did many Valentine’s Day themed things!
Gym Class is on Thursday next week!
Here’s what we worked on this week:
Reading/Language Arts: Our story was “My Lucky Day” by Keiko Kasza and our letter of the week was Ll. We continued working with the sight words: are, that & do. We are reviewing all of our sight words, practicing our letter sounds and sounding out CVC words.
Math: We are finishing up our unit on addition and we are working hard at identifying number sequences (what comes before and after a number) and missing numbers with numbers from 1-100. We have also been working on identifying number words.
Independent Center: This week we worked on activities Valentine’s Day themed activities!
Religion: We discovered ways that we learn about God with our families. We also learned about St. Valentine.
- There is no school on Monday, February 17, 2020, due to the Presidents Day holiday.
- Please remember: If there is snow on the ground, your child must wear boots to school and bring a pair of shoes to wear in the classroom!
Enjoy the long weekend with your family! :)
Kindergarten News ~ February 7, 2020
Our week started out with the Groundhog’s prediction of an early spring! We celebrated our 100th Day of School on Tuesday! We also did a mini unit on telling time to the hour and half-hour! It was a fun-filled week!
Gym Class is on Tuesday & Thursday next week!
Here’s what we worked on this week:
Reading/Language Arts: We read the story “Bunny Day” which introduced us to clocks and telling time. Our new letter of the week was Hh and we learned three new sight words: are, do & that. We are working hard on sounding out CVC words and writing a sentence.
Math: We are finishing up our lessons on addition and are working hard on counting to 100 and identifying numbers up to 100!
Religion: This week we covered the chapter “Jesus Teaches and Helps Us.” We learned that Jesus wants to teach us about God and helps us each and every day.
Independent Center: We worked on telling time to the hour and the half-hour and reviewed our Days of the Week!
~ If you have requested a Parent/Teacher Conference for Friday, February 14, 2020, you will receive your time slot next week. (*Please note, these conferences are not mandatory as they were in the Fall!)
~ Next Friday is Valentine’s Day! Kindergarten students may come to school in Valentine colors and may bring Valentine cards to pass out to the class. We will not be having a class party due to the half-day schedule. (See note on reverse side)
~ Friday, February 14, 2020 is a half-day of school with 11:45 dismissal for all students and no after-care offered. Students will only need a snack next Friday, no lunch!
~ There will be No School on Monday, February 17, 2020, in honor of Presidents Day!
Kindergarten News ~ January 31, 2020
We kicked off Catholic Schools Week on Sunday with Mass and Open House. Thanks to everyone who stopped in to see all of our hard work!
Language Arts: This week we read the story “Hide Clyde” and continued working with the short Oo sound. The children should be able to sound out simple CVC (consonant/vowel/consonant) words now. Be sure to read over the Kindergarten readers that are sent home each week with your child at least 3 times.
Math: We continued to learn about addition and different ways to put numbers together. We have also been practicing counting and ordering numbers and items, as well as finding the missing numbers in a sequence.
Religion: This week we focused on what it means to go to a Catholic School in honor of Catholic Schools Week! We thanked our families for sending us to QAS and we thanked members of our neighborhood and school community for supporting us!
Independent Center: To go along with our story “Hide Clyde” we learned about other animals that use camouflage to hide from predators!
More News & Info:
- Gym Class will be on Monday and Wednesday next week!
- Keep sending your child to school in boots and with cold-weather gear. They have been going outside for recess if the temperature is not too low!
- 100th Day of School in on Feb. 4th! Don’t forget to get your 100th item ready to wear on Tuesday! Students may be out of uniform wearing their 100th Day creation on Tuesday!
**We have started testing for our Winter Review! Please see below for the items we are testing!
Students should also be able to sound out CVC (consonant vowel consonant) words such as: cat, tip, not.
Students should also be able to answer simple addition problems up to 10 (may use finger or cubes). Example: 2+3=?
Kindergarten News ~ January 24, 2020
We had a nice short week learning about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and comparing the stories “The Mitten” and “The Hat” by Jan Brett. Don’t forget to have your child dressed for the weather each day! Boots should be worn if there is snow on the ground! School sweaters should also be in school everyday!
Gym Class will be on Tuesday next week!!! This will be our last day of roller skating! Gym class time on Tuesday will be from 12:50 until 1:25.
Here is what we worked on this week~
Language Arts: Our story this week was “Seeds” which taught us about different seeds and the plants they grow into. We worked on the vowel sound Oo this week and practiced reading, writing and identifying words with the short o sound.
Math: We completed Chapter 5 in our Math book on Addition! We will be continuing to work on making addition sentences using + and = as well as combining numbers through addition to make 10 to make sure we really understand addition. We will also be reviewing numbers and trying to count to 100 for 100th Day!
Independent Center: This week we worked on activities about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and activities from the two Jan Brett stories – “The Hat” and “The Mitten.”
Religion: This week we learned that Jesus wants us to Love. We learned about the ways we can show love for one another everyday!
In other news…
- Don’t forget about our Kindergarten 100th Day project! If you have misplaced the note, a copy can be found on my Blog on the right-hand side.
- Next week is Catholic Schools Week! Please see the reverse side for all of the activities that will be taking place, beginning with Mass and Open House on Sunday!
- Please remember that if your child has a fever or has been vomiting, they must be fever free and/or vomit free for 24 hours before returning to school! There has been a lot going around and we are trying to keep everyone healthy! Thank you!
Catholic Schools Week Schedule
Sunday: Celebrating Our Parish
- Mass 11:00 a.m.
- Open House 12:00-1:30
Monday: Celebrating our Buddies
- Wear crazy socks with your uniform
- Faith Partners activity
Tuesday: Celebrating our Parents
- Create a card for our parents
Wednesday: Celebrating the School Community and Beyond
- Volunteer Coffee & Tea 8:10 a.m. – please be sure to RSVP if you will attend!
- Students will write thank you notes to people in our school and community
Thursday: Celebrating our Students
- Students may be out of uniform today!
- Carnival in the afternoon!
Friday: Celebrating our Faculty and Staff
- Breakfast for Faculty and Staff 8:30-9:30
- Room Parents work with students from 8:30-9:30
- Wear QAS spirit wear!
Saturday: Celebrating Families
- Enjoy the day with your family in anyway you choose! :)
Kindergarten News ~ January 17, 2020
Penguins have taken over Room 3! We have been learning about different types of penguins, comparing sizes and characteristics, discovering “Tacky the Penguin” books and having so much fun exploring different penguin traits and their habitats!
Thank you to all of the parent volunteers for Gym Class so far. We are having fun learning to Roller Skate! Even if there is no sign-up slot available to help, please feel free to come as long as you are Virtus trained! Gym Class is on Friday next week!
Here’s what we worked on this week;
Reading/Language Arts: This week, we read the story “Farfallina and Marcel” which was about how friendships grow and change. We continued to work with the sight words see & look. Our letter of the week was Ff. We are practicing identifying middle vowel sounds and sounding out CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) words. We did some comparing and contrasting between “Tacky the Penguin” and real penguins.
Math: We are continuing to work on addition. We are working on modeling addition problems using cubes, counters, chips or objects. We now know how to use the plus (+) sign and equals (=) sign as well!
Independent Center: We explored penguin activities this week!
Religion: This week we learned that Jesus grew up in Nazareth with Mary and Joseph. We discussed similarities and differences about things Jesus did with his family and what we do with our families.
- No School on Monday to observe Martin Luther King, Jr, day!
- Reminder: If there is snow on the ground, children MUST wear boots to school and bring shoes to change into. We go outside for recess and do not want to track wet shoes into the classroom. Also, please be sure to send hats, gloves and warm clothes! See the Winter Clothes tab on my blog!
- Our 100th Day of School is quickly approaching! Please see the tab on my blog for more information! A hard copy of this information was sent home in the Red Folder next week! :)